What is Cerebral Palsy?
- is the #1 motor disability in children
- can affect the ability to move, sit, stand, walk, talk, swallow, or use one’s hands
- is caused by a brain injury, not a disease
- is diagnosed before age 2, and today the cure has yet to be discovered
- in more severe cases, children may have secondary impairments such as autism, learning disabilities, vision problems, epilepsy, etc.
Good news is most children with CP will walk:
- 60% are independent walkers
- 10% walk with an assistive device
- 30% use a wheelchair